Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Engaging Students with Concept Mapping Activities

A concept map is a wonderful tool for all learners, especially visual learners. It can represent the relationships among concepts in a variety of different ways and patterns that are easy to follow and see the connections. Concept maps can aid a student’s creativity and simulate brain-storming. It can help them summarize or analyze key ideas in an organized resource. Concept maps enhance instruction with the power of technology and visual learning.

Concept maps can be used efficiently in almost every subject area from language arts to math. Students could use this technology to compare books, analyze characters, study vocabulary, explore cause and effect, create cycles, explore theories, generate a study guide, and much more. Concept maps can also be used for teachers to plan and organize lessons, or even create a multimedia project or website.

While exploring Inspiration I found many ways to incorporate concept maps into my classroom. One example I really enjoyed was the lesson on recycling, students created a concept map exploring the three R’s of recycling including definitions, materials, impacts, and ways to recycle. Another idea I enjoyed was the concept map of plate tectonics, this is can be a difficult concept to grasp without visual examples. This concept map allows students to easily explore this science topic. My favorite idea to incorporate concept maps is the multimedia or web site diagrams. I think this is a wonderful way direct student to videos, photographs, and other fun web sites.



Concept mapping can enhance student learning it gives them a visual representation of information that may be easier to understand. Many students will benefit from well organized information that is easily to follow. Pictures and graphics to support material being learned will also help students grasp new ideas. Using concept mapping on computers will also motivate and be an exciting activity for students to complete.

I don’t think it would take me a lot of time to learn and feel comfortable with this type of application. However, I think it would depend on my schools technology program and access to determine if I would integrate it in to my classroom. If students had easy access to computers and we could quickly and efficiently use the program then I would use it in my classroom.

Here is an example of a concept map that I created in class.

No comments: